A delicious twist on a loaded fry platter that won’t mess with your waistline or derail your resolutions! Need a dinner to drool over? Try these Loaded Sweet Potato Mexican Street Fries!
As the resolutions and goals of the new year bring along a desire for a healthier lifestyle, well, the fact of the matter is, it’s still a little chilly outside. For me, salads, fruit and all things fresh are what a crave through the summer months, but winter (even in Florida) brings it’s own set of challenges, like finding that sweet spot between comfort food and better choices. So while this isn’t quite in the category of salad, it’s still a plate loaded with veggies! And to be honest, you could chop some lettuce and pile it on. Voilå, a “salad” that’s perfect for the cooler months. It’s like we wrapped our favorite distressed tee in a glam sweater for a date night, the best of both all in one delicious package!! I even made a dressing for it, my Avocado Lime dressing that’s also loaded with cilantro from our blacked fish tacos recipe.
With a slightly spiced sweet potato fry, black beans and our avocado lime dressing, we’ve got the base for an amazing dish, add in more toppings, like shredded cheddar cheese, sliced tomatoes, extra cilantro and avocado slices, you can even add in corn, shredded or chopped lettuce, salsa, and if you don’t want to go meat-free, brown some ground meat or chicken and season!
I absolutely loved partnering with Horizon last year and it’s become one of those staple brands in our kitchen, because my goal is always keeping simple, recognizable ingredients in everything we make. So while I don’t always get it perfect, I make the choice everywhere and anywhere I can to give my family the best ingredients possible while making dishes they enjoy. Sometimes it’s a platter full of fries, but hey, I started with simple, raw ingredients and created something hearty from it! And you know, sometimes it’s donuts or cinnamon rolls.😉
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1/2 tbs cumin
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: cayenne pepper
- Black beans, drained and rinsed (I used approx 1 1/2 cups)
- Sliced cherry tomatoes
- Chopped red onion
- Fresh cilantro
- Chopped green onion
- Shredded Horizon Organic cheddar cheese
- Pickled or Sliced Jalapeño Peppers
- Diced Bell Peppers
- Pico de Gallo
- Salsa and/or Guacamole
- Chopped Avocado
- Shredded Lettuce
- Horizon Organic Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- Jalapeno Ranch
- Taco Meat
- 1 Avocado
- 1 clove Garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup Horizon Organic sour-cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime or lemon juice (or white vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Water as needed
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Wash, peel and slice sweet potatoes. Toss in olive oil, garlic and spices. Spread out on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Flip and bake for an addition 20 minutes. (Optional: can use frozen sweet potato fries, just toss in seasonings and bake according to package directions.)
- While the fries are baking, drain and rinse black beans and chop the veggies you plan to use as a topping. Add the beans and chopped veggies to a small bowl. Season with the juice of 1 lime and 1 tsp chili powder.
- When the fries are cooked through, top with the veggie mix and sprinkle with Horizon Organic shredded cheese. Return to oven and bake for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Garnish with avocado or Creamy Avocado Lime Dressing and enjoy!
- Place all the ingredients In a food processor or blender.
- Process until smooth, scraping down the sides a few times as needed. Thin the dressing out with water (a little at a time) until it reaches a desired consistency.
- Keeps in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to pin it for later, just click the Pin It when hovering an image.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.