This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ThinkOutsideTheWipe #CollectiveBias
We LOVE getting our kids involved in the kitchen, but boy does that mean MESSES all the time. My personality actually revolts a little every time I see the mess and feel it under my feet (yikes!), but the fun my kids have is priceless. We teamed up with Huggies® Cleansing® Wipes for our latest kitchen adventure and made colorful rainbow play dough that we turn into deliciously fruity cookies! It’s a recipe and activity in one!
Since we’re always looking for ways to help our kids learn to love the kitchen, it’s important to me to find and share projects that also double as a fun craft and activity! Since my littles really like to play with play dough, we decided to create a fresh and fruity bake-able play dough cookies recipe and let them go wild with it. FOUR little ones in our brand new WHITE kitchen with lots of flour, sugar and food coloring is definitely a recipe for messes to happen, but here’s the thing, messes will happen anyway. Instead of my inner Type-A going crazy, I can be prepared to embrace the mess and have fun with my kids… and keep easy to grab wipes close by. I just order mine from Sam’s Club where I’m able to save and get more bang for my buck, and have them delivered right to my door (which makes it easier on me!). Plus, Huggies® Cleansing® Wipes are great for soft, sensitive skin as they’re fragrance free, alcohol free, paraben free and hypoallergenic… meaning we can all use them for the multitude of messes we inevitably make.
The fun in this colorful play dough cookies recipe is that we can have fun first with measuring and mixing, then we create and play by building our play dough creations… and then when everyone is “play-doughed” out, we bake it into colorful sweet treats! And on top of it, the fruity scent and taste of the play dough cookies reminds me of Jolly Ranchers, so tutti-fruity… and so colorfully fun. I could only eat a few bites, but I have to say, the kids loved eating something that had so much fun making. I think this would be such a perfect activity and recipe for kids parties too!
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 2 (or more) 3 oz. packages of jello
- Food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy. Blend in egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and cream of tarter. Gradually add flour mixture to the wet ingredients.
- Divide the dough into four sections. Sprinkle two tablespoons of jello onto each section and then knead the dough until combined. You can add a few drops of food coloring in, if you’d like the color to be more vibrant.
- Let kids knead and play with dough until you're ready to bake.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. If desired, you may roll the balls into the extra jello powder for a sweeter cookie.
- Place dough onto the baking sheet two inches apart. Flatten the dough with the bottom of the bowl to allow the cookies to cook evenly.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Remove cookies from the pan and allow to cool on a wire rack.
Right now at Sam’s Club get $8 off the purchase of any 2 Huggies products, valid 8/23 – 9/17 or while supplies last!