With just a FEW simple ingredients, including castile soap, you can get a naturally, and effectively clean home! Mixed in three different formulations, our castile soap recipes give a gentle cleanse while the added ingredients offer an anti-bacterial boost that will have all areas of your home sparkling.
[su_note note_color=”#ffffff”]This post is in partnership with Sprouts. As always, I share brands we’re currently loving and use on a regular bases. All opinions are 100% my own.
With four kids in our home, plus two kittens (yes we now also have TWO cats that are just a few months old), there are ALWAYS messes to clean up.
I like to answer a few questions when it comes to our clean up routines:
- Is it easy? Easy to mix/easy to use/easy to find/etc.
- Can my kids use it? While they don’t have a ton of chores, we all pitch in for clean up and work together, so I like to find products that are safe for my kids to use, sometimes even fun for them to use, and something they have the ability to use.
- Does it work? How effective is it? Can it get the job done quickly?
- How clean or safe is it for our family?
I know that may seem like a lot of questions, but it’s important because if we have a cleaning product that only I can use (because it’s dangerous/etc), that drastically limits my family’s ability to help clean up after themselves and also… do I really want to be using it if it’s that unsafe?
So, in finding ways to clean up our actual cleaning routine, I always like products that can perform multiple duties and one thing that truly holds up to that is castile soap!
There are SO many uses, from stain treating, to laundry, to creating hand soap and more… but today I’ve narrowed it down and am sharing our THREE FAVORITE CASTILE SOAP RECIPES that pack the most punch in our home, meaning these recipes can get our home sparkling clean!
[su_note note_color=”#ffffff”]Plus, one of our top markets to pick up healthy foods and natural products (especially when they have so many great sales), SPROUTS, just started offering their own castile soap and I’ve found it to be SUCH a great price when comparison shopping![/su_note]
Keep reading for our homemade castile soap recipes with essential oils!
Quick note of caution: Both castile soap and vinegar are powerhouses in a naturally clean home, just DON’T mix them together! While this is not actually a dangerous reaction-inducing mix, it will cancel out the cleansing power of each. Vinegar is an acid and castile soap is a base, so mixing the two just makes them less powerful together. However, using vinegar AFTER you’ve used castile soap is a great idea, and I always love using vinegar for glass, mirrors and windows!
Castile Soap Recipes:
Homemade Castile Soap Soft Scrub for Bath and Tile
3/4 cup baking soda (slightly heaped)
1/4 cup castile soap
1 Tablespoon water
Optional: Add in your favorite essential oils for an added anti-bacterial boost
1. In a bowl, combine ingredients and stir with a fork to make a nice soft, paste-like, consistency.
2. Scoop out the scrub with a sponge and start cleaning.
3. This scrub can also be used to clean the toilet and works great in a small squeeze bottle.
Homemade Dusting Spray with Castile Soap
1 cup distilled water
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons castile soap
8 drops lemon essential oil
Glass spray bottle
1. Combine ingredients in a glass spray bottle, shake and use to clean wood and other surfaces that need dusting.
Homemade All Purpose Cleaning Spray with Castile Soap
1 1 /2 cups of distilled water
2 tablespoons of Castile soap
20 drops of lemon essential oil
Glass spray bottle
1. Combine ingredients in a glass spray bottle, shake and use daily to clean household surfaces, including kids toys, counters, door handles and more!