This delicious and creamy vegan butternut squash soup recipe is full of great flavor, both sweet and savory, quick and simple to prepare, and extra-easy clean up since it’s cooked in just one pot! One of the quickest ways to get butternut squash soup on the table and great for a dairy-free, vegan, gluten free meal.
CREAMY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
I’m not sure what brought it to mind, maybe just the desire for healthier recipes coming out of our kitchen, but Chris and I got to talking about butternut squash recently.
It was my order of choice, a vegan butternut squash soup with a bite of salad to wash it down. The French restaurant was always teaming with wide eyes overlooking the pastry counter, the wall of fresh breads, the scent of espresso dripping and sound of milk swirling to bring a latte to life, and tables along Lincoln Road were usually quite filled with happy patrons.
Our go-to spot for a quick lunch, though far from France, was just a short walk from where we were in South Beach (though I haven’t been back in a while now). Their seasonal menu always offered butternut squash soup at just the right time, and even when we’re in a different season altogether, I think it can always be a good time to make this classically creamy, yet dairy-free vegan butternut squash soup.
We’ve been adjusting our grocery shopping and recipes this year to reflect a healthier lifestyle. My theory behind diet is this; everything is acceptable, but it’s not all beneficial… so moderation is key. I still want to expose myself and my children to all kinds of flavors, profiles, cultures and build a taste for fresh, natural foods. Cutting out specific foods altogether can minimize the adventures and experiences we can have with food (OMG, do I sound like a snob? Haha, I really do think food can be like an adventure though!). Creating wholesome, healthy dishes doesn’t have to be boring though.
So, again, we’re mixing it up with this vegan butternut squash soup that has the slightest bit of heat and a tad of sweet as well.
Since we opted for a dairy-free soup, as dairy isn’t the best for everyone in our family, we used Organic Almondmilk to keep it loaded with plant-based goodness while also keeping it creamy.
With no artificial flavors, sweeteners, or preservatives, and each flavor organic, gluten-free, soy-free, carrageenan-free, and dairy-free, I knew this and just a few ingredients would deliver the wholesome dish I wanted that’s also stacked with flavor.
Coconut milk is another great option.
Plus? I cooked this vegan butternut squash soup all in ONE pan, which made for much easier cleanup! No long roasting time necessary. If you wanted, you could toss all of the ingredients in a crockpot as well and let it do the cooking for you slowly, but it this method didn’t take long and it was ready to eat in less than 30 minutes.
- * 3 cups vegetable stock
- * 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- * 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- * 1 medium (uncooked) butternut squash*, peeled, seeded and diced
- * 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- * 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper, or more to taste
- * 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
- * pinch of ground cinnamon and nutmeg
- * 1/2 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Almondmilk
- * optional garnishes: extra almond milk, cream, or a dash of pumpkin pie spice, walnuts or croutons
- 1. Add vegetable stock, garlic, carrot, butternut squash, salt, pepper, cayenne, cinnamon and nutmeg to a small medium to large stock pot. Stir to combine and cover vegetables.
- 2. Cook over high heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the squash is completely tender and mashes easily with a fork.
- 3. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. (Or you can transfer the soup in two batches into a traditional blender, and puree until smooth, being very careful when working with the hot liquid.)
- 4. Stir in the almondmilk.
- 5. Taste, and season with additional salt, pepper and cayenne if needed.
- 6. Serve warm, with optional garnishes if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 74Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 554mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 2g