I’m an official ambassador of Dole and received compensation in exchange for my recipe development. With an easy marinade using simple ingredients, these rainbow kabobs are so vibrant, flavorful and sure to keep you going this summer!
As a mom of four, it can be easy to feel like a short order cook; each child with their own tastes and preferences. Thankfully in our home we’ve well established that this mama doesn’t cook separate dishes, but I do however try to bring food to the table that everyone can appreciate and dive into. Just like many other parents out there, we’re also on a mission to bring more fruits and veggies to the table and expose our kiddos to a variety of choices, helping them to find things they may not have experienced before and hopefully finding new, healthy foods they love.
In honor of National Eat More Fruits and Vegetables Day on May 25, we’re whipping up one of our summer favorites, rainbow kabobs! Not only does the grill become our best friend during the summer months (what’s not to love about cooking AND eating outside which in turn means less cleanup?! Grilling can also be easily taken on the road with a panini grill or campsite fire.), I can definitely tell when I’ve been eating better foods, because I feel sharpened and have energy to last. It’s no wonder our kids are the same way as I notice more appropriate attitudes and less of those sugar crashing induced “upsets” when we’ve been sharing an increase of wholesome ingredients across the table.
- 1 DOLE® Fresh Pineapple, cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into chunks
- 1 zucchini, sliced into thick rounds
- 1 eggplant, sliced into chunks
- 2 chicken breasts, grilled or cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Pink sea salt to taste
- 2 DOLE® Fresh Sweet Potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat grill.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning and season with salt.
- Thread DOLE® Fresh pineapple, bell peppers, onion, zucchini and eggplant onto skewers. If you're adding chicken, go ahead and skewer as well, or you can leave the chicken breasts whole and grill separately as well. Brush olive oil mixture onto the skewers and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Add skewers to grill, and cook, turning occasionally, until vegetables are lightly charred, about 10-12 minutes, basting with reserved marinade as needed.
- Cut off end of the sweet potatoes.
- Place a DOLE® Fresh sweet potato vertically on your cutting board and slice downwards to create 3-4 ½ inch slabs.
- Prepare the marinade by mixing the olive oil, lime juice and salt together in a small bowl.
- Lay the sweet potato slabs flat on a large plate and brush half the marinade over top. Flip the sweet potato and repeat on the other side. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- Set aside and let marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- Place on the grill and cook one side for 5 minutes, then flip and cook the other side for 5 minutes. Once they are tender throughout (but not too mushy), remove from grill and slice into ¼ inch "fries".
- Plate and enjoy!
With Disney Pixar’s Cars 3 arriving in theaters June 16, Dole and Disney are taking this message of healthy living to the open road this summer! We’re excited to “Fuel Up with Dole” as we nosh on this character inspired dish with these fruit and veggie loaded rainbow kabobs for #FruitsAndVeggiesDay and Mater’s Taters! You can rev up with us too starting May 25 since you can enter the “Fuel Up with Dole Sweepstakes” May 25 through July 19 and find even more road-tested character recipes and a family-fun summer road trip contest! And if you’re like us and take your annual road trip… you know we’ll be hitting the pavement for our #BlueSummerTour soon, check out the Dole Fuel Up Family Road Trip Guide, a free download with portable fruit and vegetable recipes, travel-worthy nutrition tips and more!
So make the choice with us today, grab a fun recipe (I think the Crunchy Banana Roll inspired by Jackson Storm looks amazing!) and get in on a race toward health while spending more family time around a meal.
If you make these vibrant rainbow kabobs or Mater’s Taters, I’d love to hear about it! Just snap a pic and tag us on social with @TabithaBlue or #FreshMommyBlog. And do tell, what are some of your favorite, healthy, go-to summer recipes?!