We are sharing our 101 Dalmatian Family Costume Idea because Halloween is just around the corner, and what better way to celebrate this spooky holiday than with a family costume that’s not only easy to put together but also adorable? If you’re in search of a creative and budget-friendly idea, look no further than the classic Disney favorite, “101 Dalmatians.” This ensemble is perfect for families of all sizes and is sure to turn heads as you go trick-or-treating.
Table of Contents
Our Dalmatian Family Costume Inspo
101 Dalmatian Family Costume Breakdown
Cruella De Vil, the Villainous Foe
Every good costume group needs a villain, and in the world of “101 Dalmatians,” Cruella De Vil is the ultimate bad guy. To bring this character to life, one family member can take on the role of Cruella. Here’s what you’ll need:
Cruella De Vil Costume Essentials:
- A black-and-white wig or temporary hair treatment to create her distinctive two-toned hairstyle.
- A faux fur coat or shawl (black and white or black and silver) or you can go with leather like I did.
- A long cigarette holder (a prop, of course!).
- Red gloves
- Black stilettos or boots
- A glamorous black dress or all black ensemble
With these essentials, you’ll have Cruella De Vil’s iconic look down to a tee. Don’t forget to practice her sinister laugh for added authenticity! You can get the look here.
Now for the stars of the show – the Dalmatians! Gather the rest of your family members, whether they’re adults, kids, or even the family dog, and transform them into these lovable spotted pups. Here’s how to create the perfect Dalmatian costume:
Dalmatian Costume Essentials:
- White clothing for the base (t-shirts, sweatshirts, leggings, and more).
- Black fabric paint, markers or stick ons to add spots.
- Dog ear headbands or a headband with white floppy ears.
- You can add a black nose (with makeup) to create a dog-like appearance or if your kids are like mine skip it all together.
- If you want you can add Black gloves or mittens for the paws.
- If you have a little one, consider using a baby onesie as a base.
To create spots, simply dip your finger or a sponge in the black fabric paint and randomly dab it onto the white clothing. You can also use a stencil for a more uniform look. Don’t forget to add the black nose and some cute doggie ears to complete the look. Feel free to get creative with your spots, making each Dalmatian unique. We got our spots from Amazon, they were stick ons and I let the kids put them on however they wanted.
Horace and Jasper
Horace and Jasper, often referred to as “Horace and Boris” by Cruella De Vil in the animated movie “101 Dalmatians,” are the bumbling henchmen who work for the infamous villain. If you’d like to create easy outfits for these comical characters, you can go for a DIY approach using common clothing items and a few accessories. Here’s how to put together simple costumes:
Horace is the larger of the two henchmen and is known for his disheveled appearance and scruffy beard. To create a recognizable Horace costume, here’s what you’ll need:
- You could also add a fake, oversized cigar or cigarette holder (to mimic Horace’s constant smoking).
- A fake black eye or a black eye mask to create the appearance of a shiner (Horace often sports a black eye in the movie).
If you’re looking for more Family Costume Ideas check out this post!
Boris is the slimmer and more wiry of the two henchmen. His costume is a bit simpler to put together:
- You could also create the appearance of Boris’s missing teeth by using black makeup to black out a few teeth, or you can find fake tooth blackouts at costume shops.
The Final Touch: Have Fun!
The key to a successful family Halloween costume is to enjoy the process and the experience of trick-or-treating together. We feel the 101 Dalmatian Family Costume is a timeless and heartwarming choice that’s sure to bring smiles to everyone you encounter on Halloween night. Plus, the black-and-white theme is visually striking and will make for some fantastic family photos. As you can see from the above pics, we had some fun 🙂
A family costume based on “101 Dalmatians” is not only easy and budget-friendly but oh so fun! Remember, it’s not about perfection; it’s about making cherished memories with your loved ones. So, put on your spots and get ready to have a howling good time this Halloween!