Recently, while I had family in town, my brother and his wife took us to dinner. For dessert was a massive smores pizookie. The richness of the flavors together, the way it all melted together in your mouth, the warm and chewy cookie topped with creamy ice cream… I knew I had to make something just as good for #SmoresWeek!
DARK CHOCOLATE & PEANUT BUTTER SMORES PIZOOKIE
This dish is deliciously epic. I had a small slice and just about couldn’t stop, so I decided to take some to my neighbors, make dinner for the family, and then have another slice. The other plus? It’s actually pretty easy to make. Sure there are a few steps involved, but they’re not hard to master.
First, for your Smores Pizookie, just mix up a batch of dark double chocolate chip cookie batter. Oh yum. This right here is so good, but hold on, it just keeps getting better from here.
Form the batter into a well greased skillet (I used a 9″), and make sure to keep it about half an inch from the edge, so that the batter doesn’t touch the sides of the pan.
Once baked, and cooled a bit, spread a nice layer of peanut butter on top of the pie-cookie. Oh my, dark chocolate and peanut butter. We could totally stop here, but we won’t, because next comes the layer of marshmallow.
Once you’ve got your marshmallow layer, place on the top rack of your oven to broil for just a minute until marshmallows are roasted.
Then, when your Smores Pizzokie is ready to eat, top with ice cream, crumbled graham crackers and a drizzle of melted chocolate and peanut butter. Divine. Heavenly. Rich and dreamy. You’ll just have to try it for yourself and see!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) room temperature butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbls peanut butter
- 15 marshmallows
- vanilla ice cream
- extra peanut butter and chocolate for drizzle
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Using a mixer, beat butter and sugar together on medium-speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat to combine. Stir together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and cornstarch in a separate bowl until combined. Add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients, and beat on medium-low speed until just combined. Fold in the dark chocolate chips by hand until combined.
- Turn the dough into a 9-inch skillet that has been well-greased on all sides. Press the dough into an even layer in the skillet, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges so that the dough is not actually touching the sides of the pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cookie comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Spread a layer of peanut butter over the cookie and top with a layer of marshmallows. Place on top rack in oven on broil and watch closely, as the marshmallows will roast quickly, less than a minute.
- When ready to eat, top with ice cream. Then melt some chocolate and peanut butter in separate bowls in the microwave, and drizzle on top.
I think I just made need to break away for another little slice… and then a gym membership.