There’s just something about the scent of something delicious baking, and these soft and fluffy coffee cream cheese cinnamon rolls are ready and have the house smelling scrumptious in just 45 minutes! No more waiting overnight for your cinnamon rolls.
Even with temps still soaring, my internal clock knows the days of the calendar are leaning towards fall. Maybe it’s the return to school season. Maybe it’s the boots I’m seeing line the shelves. Whatever it is, it’s giving me the craving for baking. The good thing about cinnamon rolls though, it doesn’t have to be a specific season to whip up a batch. Have an Easter brunch? Cinnamon Rolls. Christmas breakfast? Cinnamon Rolls. Just want to make something mouthwatering for the weekend? Cinnamon Rolls.
Thus was the case in our house this past weekend, I wanted to fill it with the scents of cinnamon and sugar baking and then bite into something rich. Though, I didn’t prepare dough ahead of time and woke on Saturday in a bit of a panic. After a few quick searches, I knew I had what I needed and the outcome is the only cinnamon roll recipe you’ll ever need. No more waiting overnight for dough to rise, this treat can be on the table in just 45 minutes with a simple oven trick.
While these cinnamon rolls themselves are soft and delicious, I kept them classic and decided to have a little fun with the glaze. If we’re friends on Snapchat (Are we? Come find me… TabithaRBlue!), you may have noticed the abundance of coffee delivered recently for a little something exciting coming up, so I thought I’d take advantage of the overflowing boxes and create a coffee cream cheese icing. Okay, you guys, I just wanted to slurp it up with a spoon. Coffee, but not too strong, cream cheese and sugar basically just made these cinnamon rolls out of this world.
- 2 and ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 package instant yeast (1 packet = 2 and ¼ teaspoons)
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large egg
- // Filling //
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 c butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c coffee
- 1 1/2 c powdered sugar
- To Make dough: In a large bowl or mixer, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Set aside. In a small microwavable bowl, heat the water, milk, and butter together in the microwave until the butter is melted (about 30-45 seconds). Stir the butter mixture into the flour mixture. Add the egg and knead with hand or with stand mixer for 3-4 minutes or until the dough is no longer sticky. Place in a lightly greased bowl and let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and turn off just before placing rolls in oven.
- To Make Filling: After the dough has rested for 5 minutes, roll it out in a 15x9 inch rectangle. Spread the softened butter on top. Mix together the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle it all over the dough. Roll up the dough tightly and cut into 9 (large) even piece. Place in a lightly greased 9-inch or square pan (or cut into 12 small pieces and place in a 9x13 pan) and lightly cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- TURN OFF the oven and place the cinnamon buns in the oven to rise for 20 minutes. Keep the buns in the oven (REMOVE THE FOIL) and turn on the oven to 375F. Bake the cinnamon rolls for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and top with frosting.
- To Make Frosting: Mix the powdered sugar, vanilla, cream cheese, butter, and coffee together until smooth and lump free. Drizzle over warm rolls.
If you're wanting an extra coffee boost, add 1 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules to the cinnamon/sugar filling mix before sprinkling over rolled out dough. YUM!
Join the conversation.
Have you made cinnamon rolls before? What’s your favorite flavor combination?! I’ll be honest, we have a cinnamon roll bakery just up the street (walking distance) and it takes everything in me not to head over and try a new flavor on the daily! Ha. ?