A fun way to serve appetizers with a twist. Looking for a seafood appetizer? Try the sweet and salty crunch of the best crab crostini that you should definitely make for your next party.
When I think of an afternoon in front of the big game on the screen, I immediately think of food. It may not be the typical way to think of a football game… because I’m not really thinking of the game at all. But alas, my head, and my heart, are often wrapped up in food.
Whether it be for a big game, a fun gathering, or any holiday festivities, the basis of a good meal is kicking it off with a light and flavorful bite!
These Avocado Crab Crostini are just that… light and flavorful…
With a smooth base of avocado, a slight tart crunch of radish, and the creamy herbed crab mix.
Plus, whipping these crab crostini up is easy with Louis Kemp Crab Delights®, which is made from real Wild Alaskan Pollock; meaning a great source of Omega 3s and high in protein! Using an alternative like this makes preparation a breeze, while still delivering that great crab flavor. Just open the packet and mix with the rest of your ingredients… even my two-year-old helped me prep these.
Entertaining Tip: Having appetizers ready helps to buy time if dinner is running a tad behind and we’ve always found that for big gatherings, guests feel more comfortable with something in their hands… an app or a drink is a great solution!
Keep reading for our avocado crab crostini recipe AND tips for entertaining!
Entertaining Tips for a Successful Party
- Prepare in Advance – I have come to believe that the best way to entertain is to be present with your guests and in order to be present it helps to have everything prepared in advance, so that when the party starts you are enjoying it along with everyone else. Now I am a big fan of lists, I make check lists for pretty much everything. When it comes to entertaining I usually have a couple lists going at one time. I make a list for the menu – Ingredients that I need to get, along with the order in which I plan on preparing them. I make a list for decor – Items that I may need to purchase, along with a list of where I want everything to be once it has been acquired. Lastly, I make a list for myself/home, I’m sure that sounds funny but it helps for me to write down everything I want to allow myself time for whether that be vacuuming the floor one last time or making time for myself to have a shower. lol Having all of these things listed allows me to make a plan of how to get everything done in a timely manner. When it comes to Food, Decor, and home I will often cross things off in advance if possible. If it is a dish that can be made the night before, I will make it the night before, I will get the family cleaning and organizing things the day before and I will set up all of my decor once all of the kids have gone to bed. It is important to keep in mind when your party is starting, because that will determine if working ahead on some things is really worth it. For example:// if the party isn’t staring until the next evening, I probably wouldn’t bother putting up decor that is within reach of my children that early, the kids would never intentionally mess things up but it happens so it’s best to avoid that stress.
- Embrace a Theme – This can be as extravagant or as laid back as you like. A theme could be as simple as a color, or style of food, or it could be as silly as planning a dress up party. Our crew tends to lean more towards the simple, we throw a lot of Backyard BBQ’s, Swimming Parties, or Movie Nights.
- Join the Party – This obviously goes along with tip #1, be present with your guests it makes the party that much more fun for everyone. I know it is easy to keep busy when you are having people over, there is always something to check on, something to clean up, etc, but it is important to allow yourself to really relax and engage and remember that your guests came over to spend time with you.
- Plan an Activity – One way to get people interacting with one another is to have an activity for them to get involved in. This could be anything such as swimming, backyard games, karaoke sing off, dance party or silent disco, movie night, board games, etc. Giving your guests a way to let loose and play is a great way to make your party a memorable one.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Ask For Help – Depending on the guest list parties can be overwhelming, it is important to know that it is perfectly fine to ask for help. Help can come in many forms, it can come from your spouse, kids, family, friends, or it can come from professionals such as caters, party planners, dj’s, etc. The important thing to note is that you don’t have to do it all on your own. If you are feeling overwhelmed get someone else involved.
The Best Avocado Crab Crostini Recipe:
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 1/3 cup chopped basil
- 1/3 cup chopped chives
- 1/3 cup chopped tarragon
- 2 tbls extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lb lump crabmeat (imitation works just as well!)
- 2 avocado
- 10 radishes
- 16 crostini
- TIP: Thirty minutes before serving, slice the radishes, and and place them in ice water. They become really crispy and mild.
- To make crostini, brush sixteen 1/4-inch-thick slices of baguette on both sides with 3 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place on a baking sheet and bake in a 400-degree oven for 10 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Mix together creme fraiche, basil, chives, tarragon, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt in a medium bowl. Add the crabmeat and gently fold it into the herb dressing until the crab is coated and the herbs are evenly distributed.
- In a separate bowl, smash the avocado and add a sprinkle of salt and another squeeze of the lemon. Mix well.
- Top each crostini with a teaspoon of smashed avocado, a few slices of radish and a tablespoon of the crab mixture.
The salad for your crab crostini can be made up to 1 day ahead and stored, tightly covered, in the refrigerator.