When we go through the trek of pregnancy and cross that long-awaited finish line of childbirth, we experience a range of emotions. From elation and exhaustion to joy, fear, and love. All-powerful emotions wrapped up in one big moment.
Sometimes birth can trigger something else that we might not expect. Hair loss.
In fact, a stressed scalp lets go of hair too soon so you lose more hair than you should. Read on for our TOP TIPS for a refreshed scalp and how to reduce hair loss.
There is new research that shows oxidative stress from the environment is the #1 cause of daily hair loss, which can cause early and excessive hair loss. Oxidative stress is caused by free radicals, and it can come from UV exposure, pollution or even an unhealthy scalp.
I went through hair loss after all of my pregnancies, but this last time after the twins, I felt like this phase of hair loss was more than it had been in the past (hello age and hormones! Ugh.). So my goal this past month was to really treat my hair and scalp WELL. I wanted to strengthen my hair, create a healthy scalp environment and allow for healthier head of hair.
That’s what KeepItAnchored was designed to do. It works by calming a stressed scalp to strengthen hair at the roots. As a result, your scalp can hold onto hair for longer, giving you more control over hair loss.
The reason I decided to start on this scalp health journey? There were times in the shower that I had so much hair fall, the drain would be plugged and I’d have to remove a clump of hair just for the water to flow. Gross right?!
After a month I can see a SIGNIFICANT reduction in hair loss, to the point that it’s MUCH less, I’m seeing a huge reduction in hair in my brush and there is no more shower clogging (especially with ONE shower).
Keep reading for more on my experience with Keep It Anchored and tips for a refreshed scalp!
TOP 4 TIPS FOR A HEALTHY SCALP AND HOW TO REDUCE HAIR LOSS:
Hydration is the key to life! I’m sure you already know this, but it’s important enough to NOT leave out. Hydration is needed for just about every function of the body and is essential for healthy skin… AND a healthy scalp.
Drinking enough water is the top way to keep your skin and hair hydrated. I started using a large stainless steel water bottle that keeps my water cold and also ensures I’m getting enough hydration if I finish it. For me, finishing one large bottle for a day is a great goal. I can drink more and it’s just the cherry on top!
Brush Your Hair From End To Root First
It may seem odd or counter-intuitive to start from the ends of your hair, but a thorough brushing means you should try and get the knots and tangles out first. THEN you can work your brush from scalp to ends to distribute your scalps naturally occurring oils.
Brushing this way removes tangles without the risk of pulling an entire hair follicle or causing further breakage as you move your brush down your hair shaft.
I prefer to brush the tangles from my hair in the shower with conditioner on my hair to help the bristles slide through the tangles.
HOW TO REDUCT HAIR LOSS: De-Stress
Try to reduce your stress levels, because stress hormones increase sebum production. So, focus on performing activities that keep you happy from within.
Many times, hair loss comes after a stress-full life experience, like childbirth. So working to de-stress from within is a great place to start.
Since we can’t remove ALL stress from our lives, and some bodily changes and stresses are natural, the HairAnchoring Essence is your scalp’s version of the thing you do each day to de-stress – meditation, yoga, you fill in the blank. The KeepItAnchored HairAnchoring Essence calms an oxidatively stressed scalp, so your scalp can hold on to the hair you love for longer.
KeepItAnchored HairAnchoring Essence delivers the most concentrated mix of clinically-proven antioxidants, zinc minerals, and B-vitamins to hydrate and replenish the scalp. It’s a sulfate-free, paraben-free, and color-safe formula.
A few important things to note:
- Leave it on, don’t wash it off.
- Use it DAILY for the best results. This does not mean changing how often you like to wash your hair. It’s designed to work on either wet hair or dry hair.
- It works best when combined with a quick scalp massage!
- Heat less often. This month while I’ve been treating my hair, I’ve also used much less heat. Instead of blow-drying or using a curler or flat iron, I’ve been doing more braids after washing to give my hair a fun, heatless curl.
- Scalp tension has been shown to be another cause of hair loss. For this reason, I’ve also been avoiding tight buns or ponytails to reduce the manual tension on my scalp. Scalp massage is also a great way to reduce scalp tension, and another way to reduce overall stress as well!
- Add in a sufficient intake of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids that help to stimulate hair growth and maintain scalp and skin health from within.
- Avoid sun exposure to the scalp when possible. As we mentioned earlier, UV-rays are a leading cause of scalp oxidation and hair fall issues. Sunscreen spray, using a headscarf or a hat offer easy protection, especially when you know you’ll be in direct sunlight for an extended period of time.
Observations From My KeepItAnchored Experience:
After a month of using the KeepItAnchored 3-Step system, I have seen less hair in my brush, my hair has been fuller and I can TOTALLY see a difference.
I am loving the shampoo and conditioner, but the real hero is the HairAnchoring Essence. By adding this system to my routine, and by following the tips above, I know I am setting my hair up for future success.