I am an official ambassador for Dole Fresh. Dole provided me with compensation for my time. As always, all opinions expressed in this post are mine.
My kids are movie fanatics. Okay, I should preface that statement by saying we all are. It’s quite possibly a learned trait as we would carry along our newborns in car seats to get a date night at the theater, or have a rest with popcorn and candy while the newest cartoon movie kept our littles entertained and glued to the screen in the seats next to us.
One of our family favorites? Disney•Pixar’s Incredibles.
Maybe it’s the fact that their large and growing family is so relatable. You know, minus the super hero part, although we like to pretend.
In fact, The Incredibles family costume we DIY’d is still one of my all time favorite family costumes!
You have to know that when the new Disney•Pixar’s Incredibles 2 was released, we toting along our own growing family to watch it (sans costumes, I know you were wondering).
So, when Dole asked me to create a family-friendly recipe inspired by the inspirational super-hero family, I was totally on board!
While we aren’t always winning the epic battle when it comes to healthy eating, it’s something I strive for — offering good, wholesome meals that my family loves to eat. And sometimes, we don’t mind a little extra help in this area!
That’s why the collaboration between Dole and Disney Pixar is so powerful for families fighting the good fight of nutrition in the home: help is here.
Pineapple is at the top of our list of foods we love, especially for summer eating. My kids will stand around the kitchen counter and wait for the slices and bites to fall. I call them my little puppies and they happily lap up a fresh serving or two. Besides eating it fresh, it’s a favorite summer ingredient I like to use as much as possible (the natural enzymes in pineapple are just a nice side-effect).
Besides offering up dishes that include elements my family loves, dishing up names that get them excited to eat is a super-power itself.
Like when we served up these Captain America’s Shield waffles – they were delicious indeed, but also? Skylar was just excited about Captain America! The same goes for this pineapple fried rice recipe. They do have a slight resemblance of Disney•Pixar’s Incredibles color theme and logo, but just touting the fun name piques the kid’s interest (let alone the fact that my kids love shrimp!)
Ready for this Incredible Edible Skewers and Pineapple Fried Rice Recipe? Keep reading!
Pineapply Fried Rice Recipe:
- 1 Dole pineapple
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1 package cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 handful cilantro
- For Skewers:
- Cut up pineapple into 1 inch slices then cut in half to create moons.
- Begin sliding 1 cherry tomato first followed by shrimp and pineapple. They should fit really well together and form a nice pattern.
- Repeat pattern until you've run out of shrimp to skewer.
- Turn on grill heat to high.
- Place skewers on grill. Cook each side 6 minutes or until shrimp tails begin turning red.
- For Pineapple Fried Rice:
- Reserve 2 cups of Dole pineapple and diced.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add garlic, red pepper and carrots to the skillet, and cook, stirring often until vegetables are tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in rice, pineapple, green onions and soy sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with skewers.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 410Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 239mgSodium: 1491mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 31g
PS. If you don’t have shrimp lovers in your home, feel free to substitute with chicken.
For recipes and other information about “Powering the Hero Within,” go to www.dole.com/Disney.