Did you celebrate National S’mores Day along with us yesterday? After all, it is a national holiday, you know. Almost. But either way, there’s no better reason than to have an entire week dedicated to the deliciously oozy-gooey s’more in all it’s forms.
Today, it’s the cupcake. And not just any cupcake, a moist chocolate cupcake topped with chocolate Nutella frosting and filled with a dreamy marshmallow creme filling. This all came about as we happened upon a little cupcake corer in the store as I was probably continuously blabbing about #SmoresWeek and my husband replied, “Maybe you should do a cupcake.” And so it was, my Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes married a s’more and they had babies… these amazing Nutella S’mores Cupcakes with Marshmallow Creme filling.
Don’t be afraid of the ingredient list or instructions, it all comes together pretty easily. Though if you are in a time pinch, feel free to use your favorite (or boxed) cupcake mix and pre made frosting!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick room temperature butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 2/3 cup marshmallow creme fluff
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 and 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup nutella
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 12 marshmallows
- 2 full graham crackers, crushed
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Add in butter, sour cream, egg and vanilla.
- Beat until well-blended and fully.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until tooth-pick comes out clean.
- Make the filling and frosting as the cupcakes cool.
- Mix all ingredients together until fluffy.
- With a paddle attachment, beat the butter, marshmallow creme, vanilla and cream on medium speed until smooth.
- Add 3/4 cup powdered sugar and salt slowly with the mixer running on low, then increase the speed to high and beat for a minute.
- If it looks too thin, add 1/4 cup more powdered sugar.
- Refrigerate the filling until ready to use.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, cut a hole in the center either with a knife or a utensil made for the job.
- Fill a frosting bag, or even a ziplock bag with a small hole cut in the corner, with the marshmallow creme filling and pipe into the hole of the cupcake. Repeat with all cupcakes.
- Frost the cupcakes however you like and sprinkle with crushed graham crackers.
- Line a large baking sheet with wax paper, and toast one marshmallow for each cupcake on the top rack with your oven on broil. They brown quickly, so keep an eye on them.
- Scoop toasted marshmallows from pan and place on top of cupcake.
- Enjoy while warm and gooey!
Since I couldn’t keep a big batch of these in my house, I shared some around, and heard, “These are some of the best cupcakes I’ve ever had in my life.” And that wasn’t from a child.
Oh the things that make a heart happy right? Like how excited my kids get about helping in the kitchen and wanting to be a part of whatever I’m doing. And the smile a bite of something delicious can put on someones face.