This festive and filling taco mac and cheese recipe is such a perfect mix of flavors and a great ONE POT DISH to get any weeknight dinner on the table quickly, not just your normal taco Tuesday anymore!For some reason, our schedules seem tighter than usual… more packed days, more to do, more mouths to feed and yet less free time. Since I don’t want to spend the warmer weather of spring cooped up indoors and in the kitchen, we’re finding ways to keep our meals fresh and wholesome with better ingredients, but a priority is definitely far from boring… and for me the key word here is easy. We’ve been having poolside picnics as we remodel a new home, dinners around the farmhouse table that my kids can help me make, and in all honesty, just a little too much take-out. All this is why dishes I can whip up and get on the table quickly are my go-to when life gets a bit hectic. One pot meals not only included, but welcomed (less clean up makes for a much happier kitchen) 🙂
It’s so easy to make up a batch of this taco mac and cheese. Cheesy, creamy goodness, packed with loads of flavor and then just top with a slew of fresh ingredients to really make your taste buds dance. It’s like tacos with a fork, or spoon.
We have partnered with Horizon for awhile now, as their signature red is pretty much an organic staple in our house, because no matter what it is we’re whipping up in the kitchen, my goal is sticking to simple, recognizable ingredients in everything we make. I want my kids to learn to be adventurous in the kitchen while learning to recognize foods, try new flavors and be themselves, all while sticking to ingredients I know are wholesome. They matter most in my life which is why I want to let them be curious about what we eat without adding anything weird (like ingredients we can’t pronounce) in our food… and it’s also why I’m passionate about good food on the table without spending my entire day in the kitchen. Just because we’re in a busy season full of changes (seriously, NEW HOUSE stuff coming soon!!!!), it doesn’t mean nutrition has to be compromised, and why I like using uncomplicated options like Horizon organic macaroni and cheese mixes; it mixes the simplicity of a meal and something my kiddos already love, with other fun flavors (like our pumpkin bacon mac and cheese… still SO good!). ?
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup cooked black beans (about half can)
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 2 Boxes Horizon Organic Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 C Horizon Organic whole milk
- 1 C water
- 2 Tbls butter
- Horizon Organic Shredded Cheddar or Mexican Cheese
- Chopped tomato
- Fresh cilantro
- Squeeze of fresh lime
- Mexican street corn (recipe on FreshMommyBlog.com)
- Sour cream
- Brown the ground turkey in a large pot. Season with taco seasoning as it cooks. Remove and set aside.
- Add butter to pan and whisk in the milk, whisking constantly. Add in water. Bring to a simmer.
- Quickly add the macaroni, and salt and pepper, stirring constantly while cooking, about 6 minutes, or until al dente. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the pan while you cook.
- Turn off the heat and carefully stir in the cheese mixes from the boxes. Mix in browned taco meat and black beans.
- Plate and top with fresh toppings as desired.
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to pin it for later, just click the Pin It when hovering an image.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.