It doesn’t take much to make these sticky, gooey, and deliciously soft bacon cinnamon rolls! In fact, depending on the dough you use, bacon cinnamon rolls are surprisingly easy to put together. And you’ll never tire of the wow factor when you pair the salty crunchy of delicious bacon with the sweet touch of bourbon glaze and cinnamon brown sugar filling.
Bacon Cinnamon Rolls
We love to make our bread machine cinnamon roll dough for any cinnamon rolls we make, and it really isn’t hard to do. While it does take a little bit of time to rise, it’s only a couple of hours and the bread machine does all of the work.
With these bacon cinnamon rolls, the secret flavor punch is in the bacon, so you really could use store bought cinnamon rolls, to save even more time!
If you are looking for a sweet breakfast recipe idea or snack to impress, seriously perfect for Father’s Day or weekend brunching – look no further than this simple bacon cinnamon roll recipe! And keep reading for our secret on getting the bacon PERFECT – yes there is a secret way to do it.
Because… why not? A delicious salty treat that so many love! We just have a secret to cooking up that bacon so it’s not soggy in the dough, without being too crispy to roll in the dough.
The Secret to Bacon Cinnamon Rolls
In order to get the best bacon IN the cinnamon rolls, you’ll first want to render a good amount of the fat out. This will allow the bacon to crisp up more when cooking in the roll. However, you can’t have it crsipy before going into the roll and still need to bacon to be malleable so you can roll up that perfect cinnamon bun.
How do we make that happen? Cook the bacon first in about a 1/2 cup of water in a skillet! You’ll want to watch it and pull it out of the skillet when the edges begin to brown up.
Another tip: Start with great bacon. Center cut is a good choice as it is less fatty to allow the bacon to cook more evenly.
Not all the news about pork bacon is bad. According to a study conducted by the University of North Carolina, a micronutrient in bacon, called choline, is essential to healthy brain development for babies in the womb. Choline contributes to the development of the parts of the brain associated with recall and memory.Healthy Eating
How to Make Topping
We’re huge fans of the Bourbon topping, but since it’s not a cooked glaze, the alcohol doesn’t cook out. While many of our kids enjoy our recipes with us, this is one part I’d tweak if sharing with the kiddos.
Our Copy of a Cinnabon Cinnamon Roll recipe is SO GOOD, and that cream cheese icing would be drool-worthy on these bacon cinnamon rolls as well.
We also have a Coffee Cream Cheese Cinnamon Rolls, and of course, that cream cheese frosting is decadent and rich and would be delicious for this as well.
You could also top with this Whipped Cinnamon Pumpkin Butter – perfect for the fall!
Alternatively, just replace the bourbon in the below recipe with added maple syrup. But if you’re okay with a touch of booze, try it. So good.
- Bread Machine – IF you’re making our delicious bread machine dough
- Sauté pan or skillet
- Rectangle cooking dish, cupcake tray, or round cake pans
- Mixing bowl
- Cinnamon roll dough, we love our own recipe, but store-bought will work great too in a time-saving pinch. (Look for 8 rolls; approx. 12 oz.)
- 8-10 Slices bacon
- Brown sugar
- Topping ingredients of choice (can use the topping included in the store-bought dough if using)
How to Make Bacon Cinnamon Rolls
Ready to get these deliciously salty + sweet cinnamon rolls in the oven and on your plate? I’m telling you, it’s a flavor packed combo you want to try. So, print, save, share and cook the recipe below!
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm milk
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten plus 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 Tbsp bourbon (you can replace with milk or more maple syrup if desired)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 8 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Add milk if needed for consistency
- Put the dough ingredients in the bread machine in the order listed and start the dough cycle.
- When dough is close to ready, put bacon slices in skillet over high heat.
- Add 1/2 cup water to skillet and bring water to a boil.
- Cook bacon until you start to see brown caramelization on the edges.
- Remove cooked bacon (not crispy) to a plate layered with paper towel.
- After the dough cycle is finished, dust the counter with flour and roll the dough into a large rectangle (around 18 X 24 inches).
- Spread 2 tablespoons melted butter over top followed by the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Lay the slices of bacon in a row where you'll begin rolling up the dough.
- Roll up each cinnamon roll so the bacon is like a pinwheel inside.
- Cut into 12 equal rolls and place in a rectangular pan or two greased round cake pans. Alternatively, you can place each individual cinnamon roll in a cupcake hole of a cupcake tray.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until browned. (Or as directed on the cinnamon rolls as the packages can vary).
- While cinnamon rolls are baking, mix the bourbon icing by whipping together cream cheese, butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Remove cinnamon rolls from the oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes before icing.
You can easily use store-bought dough to save time in the kitchen! Just adjust the recipe to remove preparation of the dough, and adjust cook times to package directions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 225mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 2gSugar: 31gProtein: 7g
Have you ever made bacon cinnamon rolls before? Let me know in a comment below!