We recently had some friends over for an impromptu game night. I say impromptu because we’d originally planned to grill and swim since fall here in Florida still feels like summer for awhile. In complete disregard for our plans, the evening clouds rolled in and brought in their wake a rain storm as we ran for cover. The kids resigned to toys and games in their room while us parents sat around the table an indulged in some good ol’ fashioned games. It ended up being a blast (my view of those rain clouds changing ever so slowly as the evening went on) and now I want to actually plan more games nights!
Thankfully as we ducked away from the elements, I had some delicious coffee on hand to brew… because what’s better than a rainy night, staying cozy and dry inside while melting into a warm sip of something good?
Ever wanting to be the best hostess (well, and also a little selfishly, because dessert pairs so perfectly with a good cup of joe), I was wishing I’d made something to go along with it. Sadly, I hadn’t, and didn’t really have the goods to whip something up at the last minute.
So what did I do? I created another game night with our littles later that week so I could have the perfect excuse to make my sister-in-law’s family rum cake recipe. It’s simple, perfect for fall, easy to throw together and pairs beautifully with your favorite brew.
Rum Cake Recipe: A Family Favorite
I also have more of the ingredients stocked away now so that if I need to whip up another at a moment’s notice, I can and won’t leave a table full of gaming guests without dessert!
While summer tarries outside our doors for a few more weeks, it’s all about autumn inside the walls of our home, meaning a daily dose of fall scents diffusing, lots of great baking (and now my pantry is stocked to make it happen, often) and plenty of coffee being poured and enjoyed.
- 1 box yellow cake mix (with pudding)
- 1/2 C water
- 1/2 C rum (any kind, dark or white)
- 1/2 C oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 C chopped nuts (optional)
- 11/2 sticks butter
- 1 C sugar
- 1/4 C rum
- 1/4 C water
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Mix all cake ingredients (except nuts) for 2 minutes.
- Grease and flour bundt cake pan (or a spray for baking, much easier!)
- Pour nuts to bottom of pan, pour in cake batter and smooth.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Place sauce ingredients in a saucepan.
- When there are about 5 minutes remaining for the cake, bring ingredients in saucepan to a simmer until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove cake from oven and pour sauce immediately over the cake still in the pan. Take your time, you want to let it seep down the sides and pool at the bottom of the pan (the top of the cake).
- Let stand 20 minutes, flip onto plate.
Do share in the comments below if you try our rum cake recipe!
Happy fall baking and sipping.
(Recipe originally shared here September 2015)