It’s a week before the 4th of July, in case you needed to be reminded to make some plans. I love the 4th! It’s such a fun celebration of our country combined with all the entertaining things summer has to offer. Whether you are hitting the beach, BBQ, or parade route, the 4th is all about family… and food!
We are usually with friends at the beach or having a cookout at home and I like to keep our menu pretty traditional. You know, hamburgers, hot dogs, watermelon, baked beans…. the works! I was trying to think of something good for dessert, since I don’t have something I make year after year and I stumbled upon a recipe for S’mores Brownies. I decided these would be a perfect fit and wanted to test them out ahead of time!
If you are looking for an All-American dessert to take to your cookout or just to make at home next week, these brownies are it! They combine the deliciousness of S’mores into the easy serving of a brownie. And they are so good!
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 10 T butter
- 8 T unsalted butter
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 t vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 baking dish with foil leaving some extra hanging off the sides. Lightly grease or spray with non-stick spray and set aside.
- To prepare the graham cracker crust, melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Mix in the graham cracker crumbs and the sugar with the melted butter. Spread the mixture into the bottom of the baking dish, pressing down with your fingers to create a crust in an even layer. Bake the crust for about 15 minutes or until golden. Remove the pan from the oven and set aside.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the brownie batter. Melt the butter and the chocolate together, either in a double boiler or in 15 second increments in a microwave. Remove from heat and let cool for a couple of minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla extract. Stir in the flour and cocoa powder. Pour the brownie batter on top of the graham cracker crust. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean.
- Switch the oven to broil. Pour the marshmallows over the brownies, arranging in an even layer. Place the pan into the oven and by watching very closely, broil until the marshmallows just begin to char. Stay right by the oven the entire time!
- Remove from the oven and let the brownies cool completely. To remove, gently lift using the extra foil. Pull the foil away and cut into squares. Store in an airtight container.
What are your favorite desserts for the 4th?