An essential oil medicine cabinet makeover, for natural healthy alternatives without the side effects!
There are so many of us on a journey to a more natural life. Cutting out the toxins and using more holistic remedies for our bodies… and many times that desire comes when kids come into the picture. All of a sudden we start to think a little more about what we’re putting into and onto our bodies. That and the help of so much more information available and research that shows just what kind of toll chemicals have on our bodies.
Lately, I’ve been asked more and more just where to start because it can seem overwhelming. Today I’m going to give you some tips and alternatives that will help you rid your medicine cabinet of harmful chemicals and give it a natural makeover! Read on for a few oils that would be a great starting point for your medicine cabinet and can relieve a myriad of symptoms. Natural remedies can sometimes work a little slower than synthetic, but using them at the start of any symptom helps the relief to take effect more quickly and the long term effects are much cleaner and healthier for your body.
Just a drop of oil (diluted) on the effected area, and not close to eyes, helps to bring relief. While pregnant, I stick with peppermint oil as Birch is in Amend+, and while it’s a GREAT pain reliever it’s an oil to avoid when pregnant.
Also, check out this list of potent essential oils and remedies for muscle aches and pain relief!
- Band aids, gauze and tape for cuts, burns and scrapes
- Lavender Essential Oil, Lemon Essential Oil or Rosemary Oil for bug bite and itch relief
- Hydrogen Peroxide for cleaning wounds
- Peppermint Essential Oil helps keep bugs away
- Lavender Essential oil immediate burn relief and quicker healing and bruises for faster healing as well
- Frankincense Essential Oil – Dilute with fractionated coconut oil and rub on skin
- Shield Essential Oil -Diffuse, gargle in water for sore throats, apply on bottom of feet 4-5X daily
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil or Respire Essential Oil Blend – Apply to bottom of feet or diluted on chest, diffuse
- Respire Stix – An easy-to-apply, non-messy, all natural vapor rub
- Lavender Essential Oil – Apply (diluted) to sinus areas to relieve runny nose and sneezing
- Hydrogen Peroxide – Find out how here
- Saline Mist (nasal spray)
- Thermometer – I use this one
Also, check out this list of ways to stay healthy during cold and flu season!
- Peppermint Essential Oil – One drop diluted on soles of feet
- Roman Chamomile Essential Oil – On children 2 and under
- Peppermint Essential Oil – Apply one drop to tongue or in a glass of water to freshen and help relieve nausea or indigestion
- Digest Essential Oil Blend – Rub on stomach and soles of feet, Ginger and Fennel Essential Oils are also great options
- Lemon Essential Oil – Add one drop to glass of water, diffuse or rub a drop in hands and sniff for nausea or indigestion
- Shield Essential Oil -Diffuse, apply on bottom of feet 4-5X daily
- Create an Essential Oil Blend of 10 drops Basil Essential Oil, 10 drops Melaleuca Essential Oil and 10 drops Lavender Essential Oil – Dilute and rub on the area outside of the ear, do not put oil in the ear.
- Create an Essential Oil Blend of 10 drops Lemon Essential Oil, 10 drops Lavender Essential Oil and 10 drops Peppermint Essential Oil to apply to soles of feet at least 2X/day, diffuse, gargle, apply diluted to sinus area
- Saline Mist (nasal spray)
- Lavender Essential Oil – Dilute and rub on effected area
- Peppermint Essential Oil – Diffuse and apply to soles of feet to relieve brain fog. Apply to back of neck and temples (diluted) for headaches. Rub on stomach for cramps, indigestion and gas. Apply to area of pain for body cramps.
- Lavender Essential Oil – Diffuse, apply to soles of feet and back of neck to induce calm
- Bliss Essential Oil Blend – Diffuse throughout the day to relieve stress. Apply to soles of feet at bedtime to promote sleep and rest.
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil – Diffuse, apply to soles of feet or dilute and apply to chest to relieve congestion for better sleep
We’ve also been making our own natural deodorant with essential oils, that really works, even in the Florida heat! Some of the blends that I mentioned (or even peppermint oil) I like to keep already pre-diluted with fractionated coconut oil in these roller bottles for super easy application throughout the day as well.
I hope this helps you clean up and clean out while your have your own medicine cabinet makeover, knowing there is an easy and healthy alternative to taking care of yourself and your kiddos! There are definitely so many more oils and options as well, but it’s simple to choose a few and start there taking your time to learn about each one. I wanted to make it easy for you and hopefully sharing what we use and what we do in our own home will help.
Please, feel free to share your natural remedies in the comments, I’m sure there are so many that I didn’t share here in this post!