What’s better than berry pie?! One that makes you proud to be an American! Really though, this Patriotic Berry Pie is SO delicious, my family ate it up in one sitting. I’m not joking! And I let them, because… fruit.
It’s sweet, with just the right crunch of flakey crust and cinnamon sugar topping. And if you’ve got a favorite pie crust recipe, use it. Otherwise, packaged pie crusts and frozen berries also make this one of the easiest pies to make! To me, that makes it the perfect pie for entertaining because it looks and tastes so much more complex than it is to put together.
And you can’t offer a delicious berry pie without the option of having it a la mode… so we’re also sharing a mouth watering vanilla ice cream recipe that comes together quickly in the Ice Cream Maker!
Ready? I thought so! Let’s dig in to this Patriotic Berry Pie shall we?
Table of Contents
- 2 Packaged Pie Crusts
- 4 cups Fresh or Frozen Berries of Choice
- ¾ cup Sugar, separated
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- 1½ tsps Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- If using frozen berries, place in a colander in the sink and allow to thaw.
- Place one prepared pie crust in the bottom of the pie pan and flute the edges.
- In a bowl, stir together ½ cup sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and cornstarch.
- Mix into a bowl with the thawed berries and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Place the berries on top of the prepared pie crust.
- With the remaining pie crust, cute out strips and using a sharp knife or small star cookie cutter, cut out stars. Place the cut pie crust stripes and stars on top of the pie.
- Toss the remaining ¼ cup sugar with remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the melted butter over the top of the pie crust. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Cover the pie with foil.
- Place the pie in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil.
- Bake for another 20-30 minutes or until the filling is bubbling and crust is golden brown.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
To make your own Vanilla Ice Cream in a Dash Deluxe Ice Cream Maker:
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Milk
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- To prepare the ice cream mixture, in a bowl, mix together cream and milk. Add the sugar and whisk until dissolved, about 4 minutes.
- Chill the mixture until you’re ready to make the ice cream.
- If you’ve got a Dash Deluxe Ice Cream Maker, turn it on and pour the ice cream mixture through the funnel at the top while it’s turning.
- Let turn and you can see the ice cream form within minutes!